Red cabbage braised with red wine
An easy and delicious vegetable side dish. This wine braised red cabbage with apples becomes soft and fragrant, perfect as a side dish for fish or meat. Delicious next to boiled potatoes followed by a glass of cold beer.
For 6 Person(s)
- 1 kilo red cabbage
- 2 apples
- 240 ml vegetable broth
- 100 ml red wine
- salt and pepper to taste
- 30 g butter (I used salted butter made by Lurpak)
- 0.5 piece sat anise (optional)
- 0.5 lemon (only the juice)
Red cabbage braised with red wine Directions
- For this side dish I used star anise that gives this vegetable side a delicious but very particular aftertaste. For those who are not fond of this flavour I advise to replace it with some cloves or a bay leaf as these also blend perfectly with braised red cabbage.
- Remove the outer leaves, cut into 4 wedges and remove the central core parts. Cut into thin strips and place in a large pot. Boil some water, cover the cabbage entirely letting it soak for 5 minutes. Drain well and put back into a pot.
- Add butter, vegetable stock, red wine, a generous pinch of salt and pepper, half star anise and 2 peeled and grated apples. Cover the pan with a lid, turn on the flame and bring to a boil, then lower the heat and cook over medium - low heat for about 40 minutes or until the red cabbage becomes soft and tender. While cooking, stir occasionally, taste often and adjust with salt and pepper if necessary.
I like to keep my cabbage crisp, but not raw-crisp. I hate it when people let cabbage sit for too lo...
See Full Review >> - London1970