The cabbage stew is an excellent side dish or a vegetable second course. Perfect with meat and dumplings or paired with some crunchy bruschetta with olive oil and salt.
For 4 Person(s)
- 1 small cabbage
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 150 g bacon or other cold cut ( I used the Polish sausage )
- 2 medium carrots
- 400 ml (or less) vegetable broth
- 0.25 cup white wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp (or more) tomato paste
- fresh or dry dill to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
Cabbage stew Directions
- Discard the external leaves of the cabbage. Pass the rest of the leaves under running cold water, cut them in half, remove the ribs and cut into strips.
- Pour the oil in a pot, add previously sliced sausage or bacon cook over medium heat for a few minutes to get it crispy.
- Add the cabbage strips and the carrots previously peeled and grated. Pour in the wine, stir briefly and cook over medium heat for 1 minute. Add the broth, salt, pepper, bay leaf, a spoonful of tomato paste and minced fresh (or dry) dill to taste. Cover the pot with a lid and stew everything for about 20 minutes (or until the cabbage becomes tender) .
I had a polish neighbour once and her cooking was amazing. I want to try this - Noah j