Spinach and ricotta savory tart
Perfect as a second dish or as an appetizer this tart with its creamy spinach filing is cooked over a layer of a homemade salty pastry. I won’t lie to you… the olive oil in the pastry was not my choice to make this tart more fancy… I just ran out of butter. The final result amazed me and it is as delicious as a regular all butter pastry so I recommend it to all off you. Next step in my cooking skills will be doing all olive oil pastry.
For 4 Person(s)
Ingredients for the pastry
- 250 g all-purpose flour
- 100 g cold butter
- 50 g extra virgin olive oil
- 1 egg
- 1.5 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
Ingredients for the filling
- 300 g frozen spinach
- 250 g ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1.5 tsp salt
- pinch (or more) of pepper
- 1 pinch (or more) of nutmeg
Spinach and ricotta savory tart Directions
- Prepare the 25 cm round baking dish. Brush it with butter and flour it slightly.
- In a bowl, crumble the butter between your fingers together with the flour, salt and pepper. Add the oil and the egg and stir.
- Briefly knead by hand until you have a smooth and homogeneous dough. Wrap in plastic wrap and place in refrigerator for at least half an hour.
- In non-stick skillet cook the spinach with a little oil. Set aside until it is lukewarm.
- Add the ricotta, salt, pepper, nutmeg and stir.
- In a bowl whisk the eggs with 1 tablespoon of milk. Add the eggs (less 2 tablespoons) into the ricotta mixture and stir.
- Take the pastry out from the refrigerator. Remove the plastic wrap and roll out with a rolling pin, on a lightly floured surface, to a thickness of 3 - 5 mm. Roll out the pastry on the rolling pin and transfer onto a tart pan and press the dough gently with your handsinto the pan.
Eliminate the excess dough with a sharp knife. Prick the bottom with a fork and pour the ricotta and spinach mixture.
Use the pastry in excess to create the border. In this case I created some small triangles of dough but you can do other types of decorations.
- Using the back of the spoon spread the tart with remaining milk and eggs. Bake in a preheated oven at 190° C for 35 minutes and, if desired increased the temperature to 250 ° C for further 2 - 3 minutes to brown the surface. Remove from the oven and serve the quiche when completely cooled down.
lot of love. B.
need more salt - tootsie roll