Red hot chilli peppers spread
The red hot chili peppers spread is a typical recipe from the South of Italy. After testing different recipes I picked the one that has a very short period of cooking that does not harm the spiciness and the chili flavor. A great condiment for those who love a little bit of spice on their pasta, pizza, sandwich or soup.
For 4 Person(s)
- 600 g fresh red hot chili peppers
- 250 ml white wine vinegar
- 1 l water
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 allspice berries
- 3 cloves
- extra virgin olive oil
Red hot chilli peppers spread Directions
- Important: wear latex gloves when cleaning chili peppers to avoid skin burns.
- Briefly clean the peppers under cold running water. Dry them with a paper towel, cut off the stems and using a small teaspoon take out the seeds and ribs. Rinse again briefly to remove excess seeds and leave to drain on a colander for a few hours or dry well with paper towels.
- At this point, bring to a boil 1 liter of water with 250 ml of white wine vinegar, bay leaf, allspice and cloves. Add the peppers and boil for 1 minute only. Drain, discard the spices and wait until the chili peppers get cold.
- Once cooled down put the peppers into a blender and blend until desired consistency. At this point there is the most important step: you need to get rid of extra water. Transfer your pepper spread into a sieve and let it drip for minimum 24 hours, stirring gently every now and then.
Majestic! - Gerard