Velvety pumpkin and potatoes soup
A soup for some cold and gloomy days. This recipe uses the roux of flour and butter mixed with the vegetable stock to create the base for this creamy and tasty soup. The flavor of pumpkin and potatoes blend perfectly with turmeric, which gives this soup a very intense orange color.
For 4 Person(s)
- 500 g potatoes
- 400 g pumpkin (skin off)
- 1 medium red onion
- 50 g butter
- 50 g flour
- 700 ml vegetable broth
- 0.5 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 240 ml milk
- salt and pepper to taste
Velvety pumpkin and potatoes soup Directions
- Peel the potatoes and cut into smaller pieces. Cover with cold water, add half a teaspoon of salt and put on the flame. Meanwhile, peel the pumpkin, cut it into small pieces and set aside. As soon as the water starts to boil add the pumpkin. Cook until all the vegetables are tender but not too soft. Drain and set aside.
- In a second pot, melt the butter. Add the chopped onion and cook together over medium - low heat until the onion becomes slightly translucent (2-3 minutes).
- Add the flour and mix well. Continue to cook over low heat for another 2 minutes being careful not to burn the mixture.
- Begin to add the vegetable broth, stirring well each time. I recommend using the whip to make sure you remove all lumps. Add turmeric, a pinch of pepper and cook over medium - low heat for about 10 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, pumpkin and the tomato paste to the soup. Continue to cook for another 2 - 3 minutes. Turn off the heat and allow to cool slightly.
I made my first of many batches this past weekend. My husband LOVED it, so did I! Your recipes never...
See Full Review >> - Sam Barb