Creamy and comforting potato, broccoli and cheese soup
A thick, creamy and comforting vegetable soup that will warm you up during the cold winter days. The addition of the bechamel sauce and the cheese makes it even more creamy.
For 4 Person(s)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 1 small carrot
- 1 garlic clove
- 600 g potato
- 200 g broccoli
- 1 liter vegetable broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- 5 fresh sage leaves (optional)
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 50 g butter
- 50 g all-purpose flour
- 600 ml milk
- grated cheese of your choice to taste (I used Pecorino and cheddar)
Creamy and comforting potato, broccoli and cheese soup Directions
- In a large pot heat the oil. Add the chopped carrot and onion and cook over medium heat for 3 - 4 minutes, stirring often. Add the minced garlic and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Add the potatoes that has been cut into small pieces, the broccoli florets and stir.
- Cover with vegetable broth, add a pinch of salt, pepper, nutmeg and a few fresh sage leaves. Cover with a lid and bring to a boil. Lift the lid and cook over medium heat for another 20 - 25 minutes or until the potatoes have become very soft.
- While the soup is cooking, prepare the sauce. In a saucepan, melt the butter. Add the flour and mix well. Continue to cook over medium heat - low for another 2 minutes being careful not to burn the mixture. Begin to add the milk, stirring well each time. I recommend using the whisk to make sure that you remove all the lumps of flour. When all the milk is combined, add a pinch of salt and pepper and cook over medium - low heat for another 5 minutes.
Amazing. Done this soup millions of times already. Really comforting. I put a lot of cheese cause I'...
See Full Review >> - Rebecah M