Traditional American cherry pie
Cherry pie is a traditional American recipe for a flaky tart filled with sweet, juicy and fresh cherries. A delicious summer dessert loaded with fruit, perfect with a scoop of vanilla or lemon ice cream.
For 4 Person(s)
- 300 g all-purpose flour
- 60 g white sugar
- 220 g cold butter
- 1 pinch of salt
- 80 ml (or less) very cold water
- 1 kg pitted fresh cherries
- 30 g corn starch
- 50 g (about) white sugar (depends on the sweetness of the fruit)
- brown sugar for the decoration (optional)
Traditional American cherry pie Directions
- Use a mixer with a blade attachment to blend flour, sugar and very cold butter until you have a mixture similar to sand. If you do not have the mixer, crumble the butter first with the fork and then briefly by hand. Add the ice cold water and knead briefly. Create a ball, wrap it in the plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- Cut the cherries in half and get the seed out. Add 50 g of sugar (or more, it depends on the fruit) and the corn starch. Mix well and set aside for 10 min.
- Take the dough from the fridge and divide it in half. Roll out the first part with a rolling pin to a 3 - 5 mm thick disc. Roll the pastry onto the rolling pin and transfer onto a baking tart pan, level the dough gently with your hands. Prick the bottom with a fork. Use the other dough to create some decorations for pie (I cut out some leaves).
- Take the spoon and transfer the cherries slowly into the prepared baking dish. Discard the juice that gathered in the bowl. Cover the cherries with the decorations, remove excess dough and sprinkle the decorations with a few teaspoons of brown sugar. Place the tart in the refrigerator for 10 minutes while preheating the oven.
Delicious! I've grown weary of baking cherry pie recipes that turn out either too dry or nothing but...
See Full Review >> - Sandra Maleo