My twist on apple pie with apricot jam filling and lemon zest
My version of apple pie uses quite a solid base. The almost raw apples combined with grated lemon zest and apricot jam create this special, tasty apple pie filling that goes so well with biscuit shortbread crust.
For 4 Person(s)
Ingredients for the pastry
- 500 g all-purpose flour
- 200 g brown sugar
- 200 g cold butter
- 2 lemons (only the zest)
- 2 eggs
Ingredients for the filling
- 4 tbsp (or more) apricot or peach jam
- 3 (or more) medium apples
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp (or more) potato starch
- 1 lemon (only the zest)
My twist on apple pie with apricot jam filling and lemon zest Directions
- Take a tart pan with a diameter of about 25 cm, grease it with butter and flour it slightly.
- To make the pastry place flour, sugar and lemon zest in a bowl and stir together. Using the grater with large holes grate in the butter. The task is easier if you put the butter in the freezer a few hours before.
- Mix everything with fingers. Add the egg and knead briefly to incorporate the ingredients. Then cover the dough with plastic wrap and put it in the refrigerator for at least half an hour.
- While the pastry rests in the refrigerator, prepare the filling. Wash and peel the apples. Remove the core and cut into small pieces (not too small). Place them in a pan with 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract. Cover with the lid and turn on the medium flame.
- Cook apples for 5 - 10 minutes, stirring frequently and raising the lid halfway through cooking. The apples must get soft a bit but not totally lose their crispness. Turn off the heat and allow to cool completely.
- Take the pastry from the refrigerator, remove the plastic wrap, place on a floured surface and divide into 2 parts. Roll out one of the parts with a rolling pin to a thickness of 3 - 5 mm. Roll the pastry onto the rolling pin and transfer to a baking tart by rolling out the dough and leveling gently with your hands. Prick the bottom with a fork.
- Spread the bottom with jam of peaches or apricots.
- Add the apples, lemon zest and sprinkle with potato starch.
- Roll out the second piece of pastry. Cut into long strips you are going to use to create a lattice top crust.
If you do not know the method of creation of this pattern you can find a short and simple illustration on this website in my Cooking Cheat Sheet section.
- You can create the pattern directly on the cake or on a lightly floured surface and then move it gently onto the baking tray. Use a sharp knife to remove the excess of dough. Using a fork, crimp the dough to seal it.
- Bake for 1 hour in the preheated oven at 180 ° C. Remove from the oven, let it cool completely then sprinkle with icing sugar before serving.
A quote from my future mother-in-law pretty much summed up the experience of this pie "That wa...
See Full Review >> - Jessica