Lemon and ginger cookies with a pinch of cayenne pepper
I made these cookies by mistake. I was making some scones and I put the wrong amount of liquids into the mixture. Unfortunately there was no flour left so i couldn't fix my mistake. I hate throwing away food so I decided just to bake them as they were, and guess what - they are great. Super fluffy, not too sweet, lemony, with a twist of ginger and cayenne pepper. Perfect for breakfast or a snack.
For 4 Person(s)
- 260 g all-purpose flour
- 4 tbsp white sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 0.5 tsp cayenne pepper
- 120 g cold butter
- 122 g plain yogurt
- 50 ml apple juice or orange juice
- 1 lemon (only the zest)
- fresh grated ginger to taste (I used 2 tsp)
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 3 tsp lemon juice
Lemon and ginger cookies with a pinch of cayenne pepper Directions
- Mix the flour, white sugar, baking powder, salt until no crumbs are left. Put the flour and the cold butter, cut into small pieces, into a food procesor with a blade attached and whiz it together until you get fine crumbs. Add the cayenne pepper, lemon zest and grated ginger.
- Add the yogurt and apple juice. Mix everything until incorporated (don't overmix it).
- Use an ice-cream scoop to put the cookies onto a prepared baking sheet (if you don't have the ice-cream scoop 2 tablespoons will work just fine).
- Bake for 15 - 20 minutes in 200° C. Cool on a rack. Mix the icing sugar and lemon juice to make a quick icing and drizzle on top.
These just turned out wonderful. I also added a bit of cinnamon. - trishy44