Naked apple layer cake with maple syrup frosting
This spiced naked cake with apples will surprise you with its rich flavor mixed with the sweetness of maple syrup cream cheese frosting. This intense cake acquires some notes of freshness thanks to apple pieces that has been lightly cooked with an addition of lemon juice. Surprising and delicious.
For 4 Person(s)
- 240 ml milk at room temperature
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegear
- 1 medium egg at room temperature
- 1 cup of grated apple (1/2 big apple or 1 medium)
- 70 ml vegetable oil
- 200 g brown sugar
- 2 tspcucchiaini vanilla extract
- 320 g all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 0.5 tsp powdered ginger
- 1 pinch of salt
- 0.5 tbsp dark cocoa powder
Ingredients for the stuffing and frosting
- 250 g cream cheese
- 125 g soft butter
- 3 tbsp (or more) maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 big apple
- lemon juice to taste
Naked apple layer cake with maple syrup frosting Directions
- Mix the milk with apple cider vinegar and put aside for 5 minutes.
- In a bowl mix the milk with egg, oil, sugar and vanilla extract.
- Add the sifted flour together with baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, salt and dark cocoa powder. Mix briefly just to combine all the ingredients. Add the grated apple and mix again.
- Pour the dough into a baking tray previously covered with baking paper. I used a square baking tray, but that round one is just fine.
- Bake in a preheated static oven at 180 °C for 45 minutes - 1 hour (me 55 min). Check if the cake is ready with a toothpick inserted in a center. Once cooked, remove from the oven and cool down completely.
- Prepare the stuffing. Peel the apple and remove the core then cut it into small pieces. Place in a non-stick frying pan with about 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and 1 teaspoon of water and turn on the medium flame. Stir the apple pieces frequently and cook it for 5 minutes. The apple needs to soften a bit but do not lose its friability completely. Turn off the flame and let it cool down completely.
- In a bowl beat the butter until it becomes light and foamy, add the cream cheese, the powdered sugar, vanilla extract and maple syrup and beat until all the ingredients are well blended. Taste and adjust with other maple syrup if necessary.
This was quite lovely. The frosting was amazing and the cake was pretty moist. I skipped the raw app...
See Full Review >> - Georgine