Soft mascarpone brioche with lemon and cardamom pastry cream
This brioche becomes very soft and delicate thanks to the addition of mascarpone cheese in the dough. Little amount of yeast and longer leavening time let it stay fresh and soft even the next day. The shape is made of different size croissants filled with aromatic lemon and cardamom pastry cream. Garnish it with a light layer of powdered sugar and it is perfect to be served.
For 4 Person(s)
Ingredients for the mascarpone brioche
- 4 g active dry yeast
- 100 g sugar
- 600 g all-purpose flour
- 125 g mascarpone cheese
- 30 g butter
- 1 pinch salt
- 270 g milk
Ingredients for the pastry cream
- 500 ml milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 80 g sugar
- 70 g all-purpose flour
- 1 lemon (only the rind)
- 10 cardamom pods
Soft mascarpone brioche with lemon and cardamom pastry cream Directions
- Mix flour with sugar, salt and active dry yeast. Meanwhile, warm the milk with the butter. Let it cool down completely and add it to the flour. Mix then add mascarpone cheese.
- Knead for minimum 10 minutes until it becomes elastic and smooth. Put it in a lightly greasy bowl and cover the bowl with a plastic wrap.
- Place in a warm place for about 1.30 - 2 hours or until it doubles in volume. The rising times are approximate, it can take more or less time depending on the temperature of the environment, the freshness of the yeast, the strength of the flour and other factors not related to the recipe.
- Meanwhile, prepare pastry cream. Wash the lemon and blanch it with boiling water. Peel and use a very sharp knife to remove the white part in the lemon peel. Put lemon strips and 10 cardamom pods (that have been cut in half) into your milk. Turn on the fire and slowly warm the milk until the boiling point. Turn the heat off and let it cool down completely.
- Using electric mixer, mount the yolks with sugar until it becomes clear and foamy (3 to 4 minutes). Add flour and mix briefly.
- Take milk and pass it through a sieve, discard lemon rind, cardamom pods and seeds. Gradually add it to the egg mix stiring well each time with a hand whisk.
- Pour the mixture into a bowl and turn on the heat. Cook on medium low flame mixing until the pastry cream becomes dense. Remove from heat and let it cool down.
- After 2 hours deflate the dough and divide it into 2 equal parts. Using your hands or with a rolling pin flatten the dough in a circular shape about 0.5 centimeter high. Divide pastry cream in half and spread the first part over the dough.
- Divide each circle into many triangles of different sizes and roll each triangle from the edge to the center to create croissants. Repeat with the other half of the dough.
- Put your croissants in a rectangular baking tray covered with baking paper, cover them with a cotton cloth and let rise for another half an hour - 45 minutes.
I've made it yesterday. It is an amazing combination, looks sooo pretty and it's so fluffy I'm gonna...
See Full Review >> - Rebecca W