Chalka z kruszonka - Polish sweet bread with crumble
Chalka z kruszonka: do not be scared by the name, chalka is a traditional Polish brioche with crumble. Soft, slightly sweet, with a distinct scent of butter and vanilla. Perfect for both breakfast and snacks. I recommend it!
For 4 Person(s)
- 4 g active dry yeast
- 400 g all-purpose flour
- 100 g bread flour or Manitoba
- 80 g brown sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- 2 egg yolks
- 70 g butter
- 200 ml milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract or vanilla bean
- 1 egg yolk + 1 tbsp water for the glaze
Ingredients for the crumble
- 40 g all-purpose flour
- 25 g cold butter
- 1 tbsp sugar
Chalka z kruszonka - Polish sweet bread with crumble Directions
- Heat the milk together with the butter on low heat until the butter is completely dissolved. Turn off the flame and put aside until the milk becomes barely lukewarm. If you use the vanilla bean to split it in half, extract the seeds and add them to the milk at the beginning of the cooking.
- In a bowl mix the flour with dry yeast. Add sugar and a pinch of salt and mix again. Combine egg, egg yolks and vanilla extract (if used) and begin mixing. Begin to pour the milk with the butter repeatedly stirring and pausing between the addition. Work the dough for 10 minutes until it becomes smooth, elastic and homogeneous.
- Place the dough in a slightly oiled bowl, cover with the plastic wrap and let it rise for 2 hours or until it doubles the volume.
- Deflate the dough. Divide it into 3 or 4 equal parts (depends on whether you want to make the braid of 3 or 4 strands). Deflate each part with your fingertips and stretch it until you create an oval. Bend the tip of the oval towards the center (as in the photo) and roll the dough. Continue in this way with the other pieces and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Roll each piece of dough until it has a length of about 40 cm. Proceed with the classic braid of 3 strands or with the braid of 4 strands. The explanation of how to make the braid of 4 can be found here: http://www.foodohfood.it/en/gadget
- Place the brioche on a baking tray lined with the baking sheet, cover it with a cotton sloth and let it get puffed for another hour.
- Prepare the crumble by mixing all the ingredients and working them between your fingers until you get a mixture similar to sand.
- Heat the static oven at 180 °C. Mix a yolk with a tablespoon of water. Brush the brioche and add your crumble. Cook 30 to 35 minutes. If the brioche is getting dark too quickly, cover it with an aluminum foil.