I give you another recipe for the fast, easy and delicious brioches. The scones with strawberries are a variant of the classic English quick bread. Not too sweet, with an intense flavor and smell of strawberries and enriched with a pink icing (made with strawberries as well), these brioches are prepared in a very short time and disappear even faster.
For 8 Serving(s)
Ingredients for the strawberry glaze
- 3 medium strawberries
- powdered sugar
- 110 ml milk
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- 250 g strawberries
- 290 g all-purpose flour
- 50 g brown sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 80 g cold butter
- 1 egg (optional)
- 1 tbsp milk (optional)
- flour for the work surface
Strawberry scones Directions
- In a small bowl mix (room temperature) milk with lemon juice and set aside for 15 minutes to allow the soured milk to thicken slightly (you can also use buttermilk). After this time add the egg and vanilla extract and stir.
- In a bowl combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder and a pinch of salt. Stir and add cold butter cut into pieces.
- Use a fork to crumble the butter together with the flour. Add cleaned and chopped strawberries and mix well.
- Now add the milk mix and briefly stir just to combine the ingredients.
- Pour some flour on a work surface. Transfer the dough and sprinkle it with more flour.
- Now flatten the dough uniformly to obtain a disc, then divide it into 8 equal triangles.
- Gently transfer each triangle on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Leave spaces between scones and, if you prefer, brush them with 1 egg mixed with 1 tablespoon of milk. Bake in a preheated oven at 200° C for 25 - 30 min (depending on how thick your brioches are). After this time take the scones out of the oven and let them cool down.
- Prepare the glaze by blending some strawberries and then adding some powdered sugar (3 tablespoons in my case). Mix well to remove any lumps of powdered sugar.
- Drizzle the glaze over the scones and serve still warm or cold.
Delicious, nice and flaky! - Barbara K