Baked red onions with Gaeta olives
A very tasty and fragrant side dish: oven baked red onions. Slightly sour thanks to the addition of apple vinegar but at the same time soft and inviting. Enriched with a mixture of crispy bread, sage, rosemary and Gaeta* olives. Recipe inspired by Donna Hay Magazine.
For 3 Person(s)
- 5 medium red onions
- 60 ml olive oil (me Ursini brand)
- 50 ml apple cider vinegar
- 70 ml water
- 50 ml vegetable stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- 170 g bread
- 80 g violet olives (me Gaeta olives by Ursini)
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh sage
- 1 generous tsp rosemary
Baked red onions with Gaeta olives Directions
- For this recipe I used olive oil from Ursini. The oil I used is Tandem, with a bright, intense and fresh taste. I also used Gaeta violet olives - very rich in flavor and intense - perfect for this type of recipe.
- Peel the onions and cut them into pieces about 2 cm high. Put them on a baking dish and add oil, apple cider vinegar, water and vegetable stock. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper. Cover with aluminum foil and cook in a preheated static oven at 200 °C for an hour.
- Meanwhile, cut the bread into cubes. Add olives, chopped fresh sage and rosemary. After an hour, remove the foil from the onions. Use a spoon to take the liquid left in the bottom of the pan, add it to the bread mixture and stir. Put the onions in the oven for another 10 minutes, then add the bread mixture and cook for another 10 minutes.
This recipe comes from the collaboration with Ursini - company specialized in production of high quality olive oil and food products.
thank you so much for this great recipe. I made them as a side dish with my steak and toss some sala...
See Full Review >> - Gary Preston