Peperonata - peppers cooked with tomatoes and sliced onions
This variation of Italian peperonata is a very tasty side dish composed of oven roasted bell peppers stewed in the pan with onion, cherry tomatoes and garlic . It can be served both hot and cold as a side dish paired with meat and fish or by itself on a bruschetta with a drizzle of olive oil.
For 3 Person(s)
- 3 bell peppers
- 2 spicy cherry peppers or mild chili pepper
- 5 cherry tomatoes
- 1 red onion
- 1 white onion
- 1 large garlic clove
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
Peperonata - peppers cooked with tomatoes and sliced onions Directions
- Wash and dry the bell peppers. Lay the peppers on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Preheat oven to 200°C and roast the vegetables for about 30 minutes turning them 2 or 3 times so they get evenly cooked. Take out the tray from the oven and, being careful not to burn yourself, immediately cover the peppers with foil. Let them rest for 15 minutes. Remove the aluminum foil. Gently peel the peppers, remove stems and seeds and cut them into long stripes. Set aside.
- Slice the onions, garlic and cut the tomatoes in half.
- Heat the pan and cook the onions and garlic with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, stirring occasionally, until translucent for 3 – 4 minutes on medium heat. Add salt, sugar and vinegar and stir to combine for about 1 minute.
I love bell peppers. That looks amazing. - Katie87