Savory pie with carrots, zucchini and creamy goat cheese
I found this recipe on a ready to cook puff pastry package and I decided to try it by adding some slight modifications. This savory pie is really delicious. Carrots and zucchini are tender and tasty despite short cooking time. The vegetables are a perfect match with the creamy goat cheese filling. I personally recommend you do not modify the recipe by exchanging the goat cheese for regular cream cheese, I think that this kind of pairing would be a little bland and dull.
For 4 Person(s)
- 1 round puff pastry sheet
- 2 zucchini
- 2 carrots
- 200 g goat cream cheese
- 70 g cream cheese
- 70 ml cream
- 2 eggs
- salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste
- 30 g grated Pecorino Romano cheese
Savory pie with carrots, zucchini and creamy goat cheese Directions
- Remove the pastry from the refrigerator 10 minutes before baking. Roll out the dough in a round baking pan and prick the bottom with a fork. Cover the middle area with a layer of baking paper and put a weight over it by using ceramic beads, dried beans or rice (both beans and rice can be reused for the same purpose but not to cook them in other recipes). Bake the dough in the oven at 180 ° C for 20 minutes. After taking the pan out of the oven, remove the weight and the baking paper and let it cool down.
- In a bowl mix 2 types of cream cheese. Add the cream, eggs, a pinch of nutmeg, salt, pepper and pecorino cheese (put 2 - 3 teaspoons aside).
- Prepare the vegetables. Wash and eliminate the tops. Cut them into many thin strips with a potato peeler.
- Pour the cream cheese over the cooked pastry. Roll up a carrot strip and place it gently in the center of the pastry inserting it into the cream. Roll up a zucchini strip around the carrot. Continue with this process, alternating the vegetables until you fill up the whole pan.
- Sprinkle the cake with the remaining grated pecorino cheese and bake in preheated oven at 180 ° C for 25-30 minutes (cover with aluminum foil if you see that the pastry is getting burned slightly).
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool down before serving. In my personal opinion the pie is better when it is cold.
I love this photo. Must try - Angie