Savory spinach quick bread
The salty spinach and cheese plumcake is a one of my favorite savory cakes. A soft and rustic bread to eat by itself or with, for example, a tomato salad.
For 4 Person(s)
- 500 g fresh spinach
- 1 small onion
- 250 g all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- 130 g mild cheddar cheese
- 70 g pecorino cheese
- 100 g butter
- 8 g baking powder
- salt and pepper to taste
Savory spinach quick bread Directions
- Wash the spinach and blanch it in boiling water for 2-3 minutes. Drain and set aside until it is warm. With your hands squeeze the spinach to remove excess water then chop roughly.
- In a pan, cook chopped onion with a tablespoon of butter until soft. Add spinach and a pinch of salt and cook over medium low heat for 5-7 minutes. Turn off the heat and set aside.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs with the rest of the previously melted butter.
- Add the sifted flour with the baking powder. Add the grated pecorino cheese and pepper.
- Add cheddar cubes and spinach with onion and stir to mix everything.
- Pour the butter into a loaf tin or plumcake tin (little smaller) previously lined with baking paper.
- Cover the tin with aluminum foil and bake in preheated oven at 200 ° C for about 50 minutes. Uncover, lower the temperature to 180 ° C (356° F) and cook for 25 - 30 minutes until it becomes golden on top. Remove from the oven, let it cool slightly and serve sliced, both hot or cold.
It turned out noot cooked in the middle. it needs more time in the oven. - David