Potato cake with onion and olive stew
This classic Italian potato cake (gateau) is enriched with a stuffing made of onions, olives, capers and tomatoes. Rich and fragrant vegetarian main dish.
For 4 Person(s)
- 1 kg potato
- 3 medium eggs
- bread crumbs
- olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 onions (I used 2 white and 1 red onion)
- 4 tomato (I used San Marzano)
- 1 handful pitted green olives
- 1 tsp capers in salt
- 0.5 cup red wine
- 1 cup water
- 40 g grated pecorino cheese
Potato cake with onion and olive stew Directions
- Prepare the stew by placing sliced onions, tomatoes (divided into 4), glass of water, half of a glass of red wine, pinch of pepper, generous pinch of salt and about 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a pan.
- Turn the heat on and cook the stew for about 20 minutes until the liquid becomes dense and the tomatoes are soft. Add (previously rinsed from salt ) cappers and olives and cook for another 5 minutes. Set aside to let it cool down. If you prefer remove tomato's skins.
- Rinse the potatoes and cook them skin off in a pan full of salty water. Drain and pass through potato mashher. Add 2 eggs, a pinch of salt, and grated pecorino cheese.
- Grease a round baking pan with some olive oil and dust with breadcrumbs. Spread half the potato mixture on the bottom and on the sides of the pan.