This version of the potato cake comes from the country of my origin: Poland. This savory cake is different from the traditional Italian potato gateau as it is composed of grated raw potatoes instead of cooked ones. It contains pieces of crispy bacon, cooked earlier in a frying pan and then added to the potato mixture to give more flavor to this cake.
For 4 Person(s)
- 100 g of bacon
- 1 kg potatoes
- 0.5 tsp dried marjoram
- 3 tbsp (or more) flour
- 2 eggs
- 0.5 garlic clove (optional)
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 pinch (or more) of pepper
Potato babka Directions
- In a frying pan fry diced bacon with a little olive oil until it becomes crispy. Set aside.
- Wash and peel the potatoes. Grate raw potatoes into a bowl on a grater with small holes. Add bacon, eggs, flour, marjoram and salt. If you prefer add also some finely chopped garlic. Mix all the ingredients well.
- Pour the mixture into a silicone loaf tin or a regular one lined with parchment paper.
- Preheat oven to 180 °C and bake the cake for 1.15 to 1.30 hours. Once cooked wait for it to cool down slightly before cutting. This delicious potato cake is also excellent cold or heated in a frying pan the next day.
My firend is Polish and she always makes great food. I'm going to surprise her and I'll make it for ...
See Full Review >> - lilly