Italian potato cake with mushroom-mozarella filling
This Italian potato cake (gateau) acquires a soft consistency thanks to the addition of previously beaten, until they become frothy and fluffy, eggs. The filling can vary according to your preferences.
For 4 Person(s)
- 1 kg potatoes
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp potato starch or flour
- 2 (125 g each) mozzarella cheese
- 200 g champignon mushrooms
- 1 tsp thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 50 g grated Parmesan cheese
Italian potato cake with mushroom-mozarella filling Directions
- Prepare round baking dish. Grease it lightly with oil and sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
- In a pan heat about 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add the previously cleaned and sliced mushrooms. Add salt and pepper and dried thyme. Cook the mushrooms over medium – high heat, stirring occasionally, until they become soft and lightly browned. Turn off the heat and set aside to cool them down.
- Wash, peel and boil the potatoes in a pot of salted water. Mash them while still to create the smooth puree.
- In a bowl stit the cold puree, add potato starch, grated Parmesan cheese (except 1 tablespoon), salt and pepper.
- In another pan, beat eggs with electric mixer, or by hand with a whisk, until they are light and frothy.
- Add the eggs into the mix of potatoes and gently stir to incorporated. In the case where the mixture is too liquid regulated with the grated bread or starch.
Divide the potato mixture in the 2. Pour the mixture into the baking dish and flatten it slightly. Place over the cooked mushrooms and sliced mozzarella.
- Cover with the second part of the potatoes. Sprinkle the pie with the remaining cheese and some bread crumbs.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake in a preheated oven at 200 ° C for about 45 minutes. Discard the foil and cook for another 15 minutes at 220 ° C or until the top is cold before serving.
It was pretty good but I prefer shredded potatoes for my potato cakes. - elizabeth