Shakshuka – middle eastern egg dish
Shakshuka is a delicious middle eastern egg dish. Perfect for breakfast these dippy eggs are cooked inside some fragrant tomato spicy sauce. Breakfast heaven.
For 4 Person(s)
- 4 eggs
- 2 bell peppers
- 1 medium onion
- 2 large tomatoes
- 3 tbsp of tomato sauce (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 0.5 tbsp brown sugar
- 0.5 tsp sweet or smoked paprika
- 1.5 tbsp of cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
Shakshuka – middle eastern egg dish Directions
- With a potato peeler peel the peppers (not a requirement but it adds to the dish more smooth texture). Discard stems and seeds, chop into small pieces and set aside.
- Blanch the tomatoes with boiling water, peel them, cut into cubes and set aside.
- In a large frying pan heat the oil, add onion and chopped garlic. Cook over medium low heat until the onions start to become translucent (2 – 3 minutes).
- Add sugar, paprika and cumin, stir and cook for a minute.
- Add bell peppers, salt, pepper and cook over medium heat until they soften a bit (at least 10 minutes).
- Add tomatoes and cook another 5 - 10 minutes on the medium - high heat, srirring ocasionally, until you will have a thick sauce. If necessary (depends on tomatoes), add a few tablespoons of tomato sauce. Taste and add more salt and pepper if necessary.
- With a spoon create 4 holes in the sauce. In each hole gently break an egg without breaking the yolk. Cover the pan with a lid and cook over medium heat until until the eggs are just set.
(diet, vegetarian, gluten free, lactose free)
I love shakshuka. This version is delicious. I've put some extra hot spices in it. - Bonnie