Golden syrup - caramelized sugar syrup
For those not familiar with Golden Syrup it is a sugar syrup often used in different British and American recipes. Unfortunately it is not available in Italy. This syrup of honey consistency, tastes like a sugar lollipop with delicate caramelized lemon aftertaste.
For 1 Batch(es)
- 200 g white sugar
- 50 ml water
- 1 kg white sugar
- 600 ml boiling water
- 2 tbsp (or more) lemon juice
Golden syrup - caramelized sugar syrup Directions
- In a deep pot mix 200g of sugar and 50 ml of water.
- Turn on the heat and bring to a boil (at this stage do not stir or the sugar crystallizes) on a medium flame.
- Cook until the mixture turns to a golden color. Be careful not to burn the mixture or the syrup will become bitter and you'll have to start over.
As soon as the syrup becomes a desired color turn off the heat and being very careful, add 600 ml of boiling water. Be careful not to burn yourself because the reaction will be quite explosive!
- Add the remaining sugar and the lemon juice. Stir, bring back to a boil, lower the heat and cook over medium-low heat for about 30-45 minutes until it thickens slightly (it will thicken more once it cools down). The consistency should be similar to that of the acacia honey.
- If it is too liquidy simply heat it again and cook for another 15 min. Otherwise just add a little hot water. With this recipe you should get about 1 liter of golden syrup.
This is such a good idea!!! Cant wait to try it . alicex - Alicex