Potato and ricotta stuffed pierogies
I give you a traditional Polish recipe for pierogi. These tasty handmade dumplings can be filled in both sweet and salty way. This recipe gives you the version of pierogi filled with mashed potatoes mixed with cottage cheese* accompanied by a fried onion and crispy bacon pieces.
For 3 Person(s)
- 200 g mashed potatoes
- 100 g cottage cheese (I used ricotta)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 200 g all-purpose flour
- very hot water
- 100 g diced bacon (I used pancetta)
- 1 small onion
- extra virgin olive oil
Potato and ricotta stuffed pierogies Directions
- In a pan heat a little of olive oil. Add the sliced onion, diced bacon and cook until the onion is golden and the bacon crispy on the edges. Set aside.
- Washed, peel and boil the potatoes. Drain and mash while still hot through a potato masher. In a bowl put together mashed potatoes and cottage cheese. Add salt and pepper and stir until the filling is well blended.
- To prepare the dough put the flour in a bowl or on a work surface and gradually add the hot water. Knead the dough until it becomes smooth and homogeneous. Cover and let rest for half an hour.
- After this time, roll out the dough into a few milimmeters thick sheet. Using a cookie cutter or a glass with sharp edge cut 10 cm wide rounds.
- Place some of the filling in the center of the round. Fold the round in half, pressing the edges together and crimping them to seal.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pierogi in batches, and cook until tender and they float to the top 4 – 5 minutes.Drain and season with previously prepared bacon and onion.
* Because it is almost impossible to get cottage cheese in Italy, I used ricotta cheese.
Delicious :-) I love polish pierogi!!!!! - Alexandra