Spiced mixed beans soup
The simplest, the yummiest spiced mixed bean soup. Intense, slightly smoky, spicy, sour at the right point thanks to the addition of tomatoes*, lemon zest and balsamic vinegar. Perfect for cold days.
For 3 Person(s)
- 1 small celery stalk
- 2 medium onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 can white beans
- 1 can red beans
- 500 ml vegetable broth
- 1 can diced tomatoes (I used Pomi tomatoes)
- 0.5 lemon (only the zest)
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 0.5 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 fresh chilli pepper (or to taste)
- 0.5 tsp ground cumin
- 0.5 tsp oregano
- 0.5 tsp thyme
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- salt to taste
- spring onions (optional)
Spiced mixed beans soup Directions
- For this recipe I used canned diced tomatoes made by Pomi. Fragrant, intense and tasty, perfect for this recipe.
- This step is optional but will give the soup an addition of smoked flavor. Peel the onions, put them on a fork and toast over the flame of the stove. The onion should not be burned but lightly toasted.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan. Add finely chopped onion and celery stalk and cook over a low heat for 2 - 3 minutes until the onion softens and becomes slightly transparent. Add garlic (cut into strips) and chilli pepper (cut in half) and cook for another couple of minutes.
- Add two types of paprika, cumin, thyme, oregano and a pinch of salt. At this point add two types of beans (previously drained and rinsed). Stir and cook for another minute.
- Stir in diced tomatoes and vegetable stock. Bring to a boil, lower the heat and cook over medium heat for another 20 minutes.
- After this time, turn off the heat, add balsamic vinegar and lemon zest (I used half a lemon). Taste and adjust with salt and pepper if necessary.
This recipe comes from the collaboration with Pomì - a company specialized in the production of tomato passata, paste, sauce and special products based on high quality tomato.
The flavours are good but I didn't care for the onion thing. - Pippi