Crispy Parmesan spaetzle
Very few ingredients but lots of flavor. Spatzle are irregularly shaped dumplings from Germany. Quick and easy to prepare. This version with the grated cheese and the dense dough makes them crispy and delicious once you sautè them in a frying pan with some olive oil and some fresh herbs.
For 2 Person(s)
- 140 g bread flour
- 0.5 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 0.25 cup (or more) milk
- 1 pinch of salt and pepper
Crispy Parmesan spaetzle Directions
- In a bowl mix the grated Parmesan cheese with the flour, salt and pepper then add the egg and milk.
- Briefly knead until the dough becomes smooth and homogeneous. Add more milk if necessary. The dough should be thick but not sticky. Set aside covered with a cotton cloth and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil. Pass the dough through a potato masher with large holes, a special tool for the spatzle or simply doing some long thin strips of dough and cut them directly into boiling water. Wait until the spaetzle float to the surface and transfer them with a slotted spoon in a bowl or a plate. Continue in this manner until you have finished all the dough.
Good but I prefer the classic spinach version. - Becky Simpson