Classic italian focaccia bread
Focaccia is a flat oven baked bread versatile in so many ways. You can slice it and use it as sandwich bread, the dough can be used as a pizza base, you can customize it by adding cherry tomatoes, olives, or garlic while baking it. Here you will find a recipe for a basic italian focaccia.
For 4 Person(s)
- 300 ml warm but not boiling water
- 500 g all-purpose flour
- 0.5 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 50 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 0.5 tsp salt
- coarse salt, oil and rosmary for garnish
- olive oil mixed with some water for garnish
Classic italian focaccia bread Directions
- Add the warm water to the bowl, add the yeast and brown sugar, and stir until both dissolve. Cover the bowl with a kitchen towel and let stand at room temperature until bubbly, about 10 minutes.
- Put flour and salt into a bowl and mix together. Pour in the water-yeast mixture and oil and mix together briefly. Let rest 3 min.
- Knead until the dough is smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. Form the dough into a ball and put it into a bowl greased slightly with olive oil. Cover it with plastic wrap. Let the dough rise in a warm spot until it doubles in size, about 2 hours.
- Oil a baking tray with 2 tablespoons of oil. Dump the dough onto the prepared pan and gently stretch the dough into a rectangle. Cover the dough loosely with a kitchen towel and let rise again about 1 hour.
Dimple the surface of the dough with your fingertips and gently brush the dough with oil mixed with some water, then sprinkle evenly with some coarse salt and rosmary.
Omg. I love focaccia bread. Thx for the recipe - Emily