Mini calzone stuffed with potatoes, zucchini and smoked cheese
I give you a vegetarian version of mini Italian calzone. These small baked pizza dumplings are made with store bought pizza dough and have a filling of cooked potatoes, grilled zucchini and a piece of smoked cheese. For garnish I recommend sauces like aioli, ketchup or in this case my parsley pesto.
For 2 Person(s)
- 1 sheet of ready pizza dough
- 2 small potatoes
- 1 medium zucchini
- some slices of smoked cheese to your liking
- 0.5 cup parsley pesto (optional)
Mini calzone stuffed with potatoes, zucchini and smoked cheese Directions
- Wash, peel and cook the potatoes in salted water. Drain and set aside.
- Wash the zucchini. Eliminate the tips and cut into thin slices of a few millimeters. Coat each side with a little olive oil and grill in a pan or on a grill for a couple of minutes for each side. Set aside.
- Roll out the pizza dough. Place over a small saucer plate and using it as a base, using a sharp knife, cut out some dough rounds. Knead briefly the dough scraps and roll out with a rolling pin to create another calzone.
- Place on each round a piece or two of grilled zucchini, a slice of boiled potato and a piece of smoked cheese.
- Whisk an egg with a tablespoon of water. Brush the edge the round with the egg wash. Fold the round in half, pressing the edges together and crimping them to seal. If you prefer seal them using a fork. Place the calzone on baking tray lined with baking paper and brush the surface of each calzone with egg wash.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180° C for about 20 minutes. Serve hot with your favorite sauce.
I've made these with pesto and cabbage slaw and they were fantastic. Really good idea. Thx. - Beatrix