Bread with zucchini
This recipe came to me while I was on holidays in Poland. My father is a vegetable garden enthusiast and he cultivates various types of vegetables including zucchini. This year he grew too many so to be able to eat all of them we invented many zucchini recipes including this recipe for bread. The bread itself is delicate, soft, almost like a brioche but with a crunchy crust, perfect with a layer of butter (vegan or regular) and some strawberry jam.
For 2 Serving(s)
- 500 g zucchini
- 150 ml vegetable milk of any kind (I used oat milk)
- 7 g active dry yeast
- 2 tsp sugar
- 400 g (or more) all-purpose flour
- 100 g whole meal flour
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
Bread with zucchini Directions
- Cut the tips of the zucchini and grate them on a grater with large holes. Put aside for 5 minutes .
- Slightly heat the milk (it should be warm but not boiling), add sugar and dry yeas , stir and set aside for 5 - 10 minutes until foamy.
- In a bowl mix the two flours. Squeeze the zucchini with heands to eliminate the excess of liquid. Add zucchini to the flour. Do not throw out the liquid from the zucchini we will use it.
- Mix well to cover all the zucchini with the flour. Add salt and mix again.
- Add the oil, the yeast mixture, about 30 ml of liquid from the zucchini and begin to knead. First with spoon then by hand.
- Knead the dough by hand for about 10 minutes until it becomes fairly homogeneous. The dough will be very sticky due to the presence of fresh zucchini. This process can also be done in the food processor with a dough hook.
- Transfer the dough in a lightly greased bowl, coverit with plastic wrap and let the dough rise about 1 hour or until it doubles in volume.
- Divide the dough in 2 without kneading it too much and put it in 2 baking trays lightly greased and floured. Cover them with a cotton cloth and let it rest for another half hour.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 220° C for about 45 minutes. Remove from the oven, wait 5 minutes and remove the bread from the pan to prevent condensation on the bottom.
Just made this. It is easy, moist and delicious!! - patti mcdonald