This variation of the classic English appetizer is made with the addition of balsamic vinegar and Worcestershire sauce to cream cheese. This creates a delicious and flavorful spread combined with fresh cucumbers. The decoration made with thin slices of cucumber is easy to prepare, just follow my instructions below.
For 1 Person(s)
Ingredients for 2 slices
- 2 slices of toast bread
- 4 tsp cream cheese
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 0.5 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 cucumber
- pinch (or more) pepper
- 0.5 tsp (or more) pink peppercorns
Cucumber sandwich Directions
- In a small bowl mix cream cheese with balsamic vinegar and 1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce. Add salt and pepper if necessary (Worcestershire sauce is pretty salty for me).
- Spread the cream on pieces of bread. Garnish the sandwiches with thin slices of cucumber and serve, or proceed to create the decoration of latticed cucumbers.
- In order to create the decoration cut thin strips of cucumber using potato peeler. Cut each strip in half and line them (about 7) side by side on a flat surface such as cutting board.
- Fold the strips number 2, 4 and 6 in half. Lay a strip of cucumber horizontally along folded strips.
- Lower folded cucumbers and instead raise strips 1, 3, 5, 7.
- Place another piece of cucumber horizontally. Lower folded strips again.
- Repeat the process always alternating strips of cucumber and placing another horizontally up to build the lattice. Repeat the same procedure downwards.
- Gently put a slice of bread over cucumbers (the cream cheese spread facing the lattice).
- With a sharp knife cut off the crust and the cucumbers which are sticking out.
- Cut the sandwich into two triangles. Gently insert the knife under the cucumbers and bread and lift.
- Arrange on plate and serve garnished with a few grains of pink pepper corns for extra crispness and flavor.
That looks sooooo cooool! :D - Patty